PROJECT UPDATES & INFORMATION
Public Open HOuse June 23rd to Meet the Contractor
Tuesday, June 23rd from 6:00 pm - 8:00 pm
at River Village Assisted Living (Community Room)
2919 Randolph St. NE, Minneapolis, MN 55418
The City of Minneapolis has hired Lunda Construction to replace the St. Anthony Parkway Bridge over the Northtown Railyard and the public is invited to a construction open house to meet the contractor. There will be a brief presentation from 6:15 to 6:45 pm that will review the project history and provide a detailed look at the anticipated construction schedule and road closures. The contractor and project staff will be available throughout the open house for one-on-one discussion. Construction is scheduled to be complete in two years.
RAILROAD AGREEMENT SIGNED, CONTRACTOR SELECTION BEGINS
The City of Minneapolis is proceeding with advertisement for bids and selection of a construction contractor following the signing of a key agreement between the City of Minneapolis and the Burlington Northern Sante Fe (BNSF) railroad. The railroad overpass agreement outlines the schedule, terms and conditions, and detailed coordination that will be required to remove the existing bridge (owned by BNSF, maintained by City) and construct a new bridge (to be owned and maintained by the City).
Advertisements for contractor bids began on January 20, 2015 and bid opening is scheduled for March 4, 2015. Early construction coordination can begin following the Notice to Proceed which is planned for May 2015. Major construction activities are expected to begin in mid to late summer 2015 and be complete by mid-summer 2017.
An informational public open house is tentatively planned for June 2015 to provide more detailed information on the construction process and schedule. Sign up for email updates on the Contact Us page to receive project updates and meeting announcements.
Preliminary UTILITY RELOCATION WORK Complete
Centerpoint Energy, Xcel Energy, and Comcast have completed the preliminary utility relocation work (power lines, gas mains, conduit) that was required prior to the construction of the new bridge. Additional utility work for the project is tentatively planned for the Fall of 2015 and Spring of 2016.
New Bridge design
Design of the new Bridge is complete! See the Meetings & Events page to view animations, images, and additional information presented at public open houses.
The existing 533.6 foot, five-span, Warren through truss was built in 1925 and crosses over 24 tracks of the Burlington Northern Santa Fe (BNSF) rail yard. The structure provides one vehicular traffic lane in each direction and a sidewalk on the south side. The St. Anthony Bridge has been determined eligible for the National Register of Historic Places and is part of the Minneapolis Park and Recreation Board "Grand Rounds-National Scenic Byway." The project includes demolition of the existing bridge, construction of a new through-truss bridge, and realignment of approach roadways which includes St. Anthony Parkway, California St. NE and Main St. NE.
PURPOSE & NEED
The primary purpose of the project is to provide a structurally-sound crossing over the BNSF rail yard for non-motorized, motorized, and rail users. Based on the project purpose and existing conditions, the following primary project needs have been identified:
- Provide enough bearing capacity to accommodate vehicle/travelers on the route,
- Maintain an official truck route to meet freight traffic needs in the area,
- Keep a functional Metro Transit bus route,
- Accommodate interstate commerce and passenger rail service, and
- Address non-motorized operational needs
Secondary considerations (wants) have also been identified as:
- Address rail yard safety,
- Consider constructability in rail yard,
- Consider long-term operations in the rail yard,
- Consider long-term maintenance issues, and
- Address geometrics at adjacent intersections.
PRELIMINARY PROJECT & CONSTRUCTION SCHEDULE (DaTES MAY CHANGE)
- START ENGINEERING – July 2013
- PUBLIC MEETINGS & CAC MEETINGS - August 2013 through Spring 2015
- PRELIMINARY UTILITY RELOCATIONS - Summer/Fall 2014
- DESIGN COMPLETE - Winter 2014
- CONSTRUCTION BIDDING - January and February 2015
- ROAD CLOSED TO VEHICLES - Fall 2014 to Summer 2017
- CONSTRUCTION BEGINS - Summer 2015
- ROAD CLOSED TO PEDESTRIANS & BICYCLES - Summer 2015 to Summer 2017
- PROJECT COMPLETION - Summer 2017